Pages

Fitness Fashion Fall-out

As you all know by now - fashion is my thing. I truly believe it is art in the form of shoes, clothes etc...Having a ‘good eye’ is one of the (actually it is the) only true talent I possess. So, why is it that when it comes to the gym or in my case, Pilates classes, does ‘my look and eye’ go right out the window? Take last Tuesday evening for example, I walked into the studio looking pretty on point if I say so myself - red Maje silk top, matching red lips and black Zara cropped baggy trouser - simple yet effective. As soon as I changed into my gym gear I looked like I was in desperate need of a style intervention – can you Adam and Eve it?!? – Picture this: grey ‘sort-of-yoga’ pants and navy ‘I ♥ NY’ t-shirt all bought at a bargain price from a couple of hip and happening (?!) market stalls in Chinatown, NYC! Other than the said outfit I’m usually in some nondescript black get up...the shame...

No one in the ‘know’ would believe or see that I was one of them - a ‘true fashionista’ (Oh get over yourself girlfriend what does that really mean!). I look around and I cannot tell if my fellow classmates are into Chanel or Church Street market. Nor, can I tell if someone’s wearing Stella McCartney or whichever designer that has a sportswear range, or an actual 'designer' range like Sweaty Betty (unless I see a logo, but who’s looking when legs are akimbo). It all looks the same anyway. No one really cares or appreciates designer gear in this environment. Being stylish or fashionable is not the common goal* (I can't believe I just said that!) - muscle tone and weight loss is.

The funny thing is that even the most gorgeous instructors make very little or no impact on what women in my classes wear - maybe the odd girl/woman will come to class wearing some up-the-bum thingy, ultra-tight skimpy outfit or short shorts and no knickers, but that’s not commonplace. The rest of us are just trying to make it through the gruelling workout. (Unlike the reaction to a new hot guy in an office - the attention-grabbing style stakes go right up!). Also, I’ve yet to see a woman with a full face of heavy make-up on - tell a lie, there is one woman but I’m sure she’s been tattooed, as she never has that smudged/washed away post-workout look.

So, why is style given a miss? Maybe it has something to do with sweating like a pig during these sessions. Yes, that has to be the reason. I personally try and avoid sweating in my non-gym ‘good’ clothes. Depending on the material, sweat can stain. Staining = sometimes having to throw away some fab pieces – and it cuts like a knife!

Interestingly, women in this environment look at other women’s bodies not what they are wearing. There is no moral or style advice to this story. It’s just an observation I wanted to share with you all.

Are you a fashionista in the gym? Am I discriminating against gym wear fashions? Let me know – email me or leave a comment.

Speak soon,
Camillea

*This is an exception to the rule. Style is ALWAYS the common goal.

No comments: